If you've ever had a crown in the past, you know that the process can be lengthy. You would need to schedule at least two long dental appointments for crown preparation and then placement, and it could take anywhere from two to four weeks before you complete your procedure.
There's also a temporary crown that you'd wear over those weeks while you waited for a dental lab to create your final restoration. If you were lucky, you wouldn't have problems with the temporary crown during those few weeks. Those who weren't so fortunate might have additional visits to their dentist to repair or replace a broken or lost temporary crown.
Getting a crown completed used to be a long and daunting process for busy adults with hectic schedules!
CAD/CAM Technology Changes Everything
These days, with the power of (Computer-Aided Design/Computer-Aided Manufacturing) CAD/CAM technology, we can design and fabricate a dental crown in about 90 minutes while you wait here at Southlake Dental.
Here's how same-day crowns in Merrillville work:
- Your dentist starts by removing any decay and then prepares your tooth for the crown
- Next, we scan a 3-D image of your tooth directly to a milling machine located in our dental office
- Our dentist then uses CAD/CAM technology to design your crown and sends their specifications directly to the milling machine
- The milling machine uses high-quality ceramic porcelain to create a crown based on your dentist's exact design and specifications
- Finally, your dentist will permanently place your crown and make any necessary adjustments to your bite to ensure that it fits comfortably and functions optimally
And just like that, in a matter of hours, your dentist will restore your tooth, and you'll be able to enjoy your new crown!
The Additional Advantages of Same-Day Crowns
Besides being quicker than lab-made dental crowns, same-day crowns have other advantages and conveniences for our patients.
3-D imaging streamlines the impressions we take of your tooth, so you don't have to endure the messy, goopy, uncomfortable impression material dentists used in the past to take impressions.
3-D images also read more precisely than physical impressions, so your dentist can design a crown with a better fit needing fewer adjustments. CAD/CAM software even allows us to see a mirror-image replication of the same tooth on the opposite side of your mouth, which means your dentist can create a more natural-looking restoration.
CAD/CAM technology allows your Merrillville dentist to create a durable and aesthetically-pleasing restoration that you'll be able to rely on for many years to come.
Don't Delay Your Crown
Our dentist may recommend a crown in these situations:
- For teeth that are severely cracked or fractured
- To replace large older fillings that have broken down
- To strengthen a tooth treated with a root canal
- As a single-tooth restoration for a dental implant
- For a tooth decayed more than a filling can repair
If your Merrillville dentist recommends a crown for you, it's essential not to delay treatment because your problem could progressively get worse over time.
For example, if you have tooth decay that requires a crown for treatment, delaying your crown allows the decay to progress further into your tooth, where it could reach your root and cause an infection. Now, you've got a much more painful situation to deal with that requires root canal treatment to preserve your tooth. A tooth infection that's left untreated and becomes severe could also result in tooth loss.
With CAD/CAM technology making tooth crowns so simple and accessible, there's no reason to delay getting the treatment you need to protect your healthy and beautiful smile.
Contact Southlake Dental Today
If you need a dental crown in Merrillville, IN, don't hesitate to contact Southlake Dental today at (219) 769-6424 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Christopher Lukasik. Our dental practice has been serving patients in Northwest Indiana since 1907, and Dr. Lukasik continues the tradition of providing the Merrillville community with exceptional dental care and the latest leading-edge technology like same-day dental crowns.